.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, February 02, 2006

 

memory and action


Judischer Freidhof, originally uploaded by trevorsc.

I spent today in a van collecting set pieces and gear for a show called "The Arab-Israeli Cookbook" -- we've just begun rehearsal, and I'm designing lights and production manageing. I also spent the day not thinking about what I had to do this evening: open a Rhubarb! show in which I have to actually perform. I'm not a performer. I'm not performing when I'm skipping, speaking, or getting hit in the head with a beachball in front of a paying audience.

I think this week will feel like a strong study in contrasts. The Rhubarb (that's a theatre festival of new and often experimental work) show is called "Do you have any idea how fast you were going?" and is mostly a laugh. We try out a few neat ideas, but mostly have fun. The Arab-Israeli Cookbook, on the other hand, is taken from actual interviews of people living, cooking, and eating in Israel / Palestine. I am not going to comment on any of that right now, there's too much and nothing at all to say, and I can't think what I could write about it here that would actually matter.

Anyway, I'm not an onstage virgin anymore. People spoke to me after "Any Idea", and said encouraging things. I got to skip real fast, and play with lights on the very computer which sits under my fingers right now. I don't really understand what happened this past month that led to my actually being onstage; but there are gratifications in life that just roll into you, sometimes.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?